After a patient first round on the feet, Blaydes (16-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) needed just 17 seconds in the second round to put Daukaus (12-5 MMA, 4-2 UFC) away after a big right hand and follow-up strikes on the canvas in the UFC on ESPN 33 main event at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
Afterward, Blaydes said he’d like a title shot. But when told former heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic was in the crowd, he said he may have to go through him to get one – and would welcome the opportunity.
Blaydes pumped an early jab, and Daukaus fired a right hand. He backed Blaydes up with a left seconds later. Blaydes threw a low kick, then another and slipped aside from a Daukaus punch. Then he landed a left that popped Daukaus’ head back. Daukaus took a few ticks, then fired back, but Blaydes held the center of the cage.
Midway through the round, they traded briefly, but didn’t get into an all-out slugfest. Blaydes kicked low again, then tried the other leg for good measure. Daukaus backed Blaydes up with a couple punches and a kick with a minute left, but didn’t appear to do much damage. With 12 seconds left, Blaydes caught Daukaus in the eye, but he didn’t need long to recover before the horn.
In the second, it didn’t take Blaydes long at all to get his work done. At the same time as Daukaus was throwing a right hand, Blaydes drilled him with a huge right of his own. Daukaus hit the canvas immediately, and Blaydes was on top of him to finish the fight with punches and short elbows.
— UFC (@ufc) March 27, 2022
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN 33 results include:
- Curtis Blaydes def. Chris Daukaus via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 0: 17
- Alexa Grasso def. Joanne Wood via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3: 57
- Bryan Barberena def. Matt Brown via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Kai Kara-France def. Askar Askarov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Neil Magny def. Max Griffin via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Marc Diakiese def. Viacheslav Borshchev via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sara McMann def. Karol Rosa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Chris Gutierrez def. Danaa Batgerel via TKO (spinning back fist, punches) – Round 2, 2: 34
- Aliaskhab Khizriev def. Denis Tiuliulin via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 1: 58
- Manon Fiorot def. Jennifer Maia via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Matheus Nicolau def. David Dvorak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Luis Saldana def. Bruno Souza via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)